Word 97 Numbered Lists

Subject: Word 97 Numbered Lists
From: Joe Malone <joe -at- VNETTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:16:12 -0800

I can't understand Word numbered lists. Can someone help? I come from a
Frame background, which may be leading me astray. I've read the threads
on numbered lists in the archives.

The number list behavior just seems wacky, but maybe because there is
something fundamental I'm missing.

I'm using my clone of the Manual template, doing a short manual. I'm
trying to use the List Number style rather than just numbering the
Normal style.

I had automatic update on for the template, thinking that would put my
various style and other changes into the template as I go along, but
apparently just the opposite occurs? All my style changes are thrown
out...every Save or when I reopen the doc or...?

1. What is the meaning of the seven numbered panels in the Format
Numbering page? Can't figure out how or if they're different, and
why...The numbers they show change but I don't know why.

2. What are the List Number First and List Number Last styles for? Just
to add space after the last numbered item? If so, what does the List
Number First do?

3. I thought I'd handle restarting at .1 like Frame does: with a tag
that has numbering and has Restart Numbering, to use on the first list
item. But I can't make restarting stick. I turned off automatic update
for the template, but now Restart is grayed out in the Format Numbering
page. (don't know if that's connected to turning off update or
not.)...All number lists now have restart grayed out...

4. I'll do something to the List Number style and in the toolbar
pull-down, all 5 of the List Number styles is changed.

5. btw, to handle skipped paragraphs, I've just been using a
non-numbered style...

Thanks.