Diplomatic phrasing for nonfeatures

Subject: Diplomatic phrasing for nonfeatures
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 08:07:43 -0600

Kristen Lorenz has <<to state that an option is
unavailable, but will be with future enhancements. Any
suggestions on a good way to phrase this?>>

Come right out and call a spade a spade. The basic approach
is to say something like "we know that you'd logically
expect to be able to do this, but you can't and we're
sorry; here's what you can do instead". Here's an example
for PageMaker:

"PageMaker X.0 does not support automatic footnotes.
Instead, you must create footnotes manually for each page
by.... (see page XX for details)." Note that I _didn't_ say
"The _current version_ of Pagemaker does not..." because
this would imply that the next version may. The good folks
at Aldus (now Adobe), 10 years after the most basic of word
processors implemented an automatic footnote function,
still haven't gotten the message. This kind of honesty is
important: it's unwise to imply that the feature may appear
in some future version if you're not confident that it
_will_ appear.

I also abhor the practice of ignoring such an obvious
feature as footnotes and then compounding matters by
omitting it from the index (at least as of version 5) so
frustrated users like me spend hours trying to figure out
where you've hidden the information. This might also be an
excellent occasion to use "This page intentionally left
blank." <stitch> and <Fe>

--Geoff Hart @8^) geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca