responding to programmer ads

Subject: responding to programmer ads
From: Rogers George <reg13 -at- DOL -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 18:09:31 -0500

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wrote:

> Bill Brucksch <bbruck -at- HALCYON -dot- COM> wrote:
>
> > One tip that I saw in the archives recently involved the following:
> > Read through the paper and find companies that are hiring
> > programmers. About two weeks after the ads appear, write the
> > companies and tell them that you understand they're ramping up to
> > create new software and that you'd like to help with the
> > documentation of the software.
>
> I have seen this tip before, and it sounds as if it should work, but I
> have never heard of anybody who tried it. I would be very interested
> to hear first-hand accounts of how well the tip actually works in the
> marketplace.

I have used this. (Didn't realize it was a tip!) It's been a long time
ago, but I'm pretty sure it got me some good contacts. I didn't wait the
two weeks, and when I called the number (or visited the address) I
explained my situation and asked to speak to the person responsible for
the docs. I recall I would get a colleague who could give me the inside
dope, or a harried manager who needed a writer.

Best wishes,
Rogers George
mailto: reg13 -at- dol -dot- net