Re: phrasing of unavailable options

Subject: Re: phrasing of unavailable options
From: James Lockard <norton -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 18:57:08 -0600

Bev Parks said,

>I've used "This option will be implemented in a future release" in text.
>Like Barb, I don't know how it would work in online help.

Due to a recent event at work, this subject has been on my mind recently.
Is it just a personal pet peeve of mine, or shouldn't we really try to
avoid including these sorts of predictions in our manuals? I mean, the
software creation process being what it tends to be, what happens if a
feature we've dutifully stated is forthcoming never appears?

IMHO, this sort of conditional information about what will be belongs in
memos or perhaps README files, but not in a manual. Manuals should
accurately describe what the product is now and what the product does now.
Otherwise, you are inviting all sorts of maintenance nightmares.

Why would you want to include a statement like "planned future option" or
"will be implemented in a future release" in the manual or online help?

James Lockard
norton -at- mcs -dot- net
jamesl -at- dmti -dot- com