Re: Finding Off-Site Work

Subject: Re: Finding Off-Site Work
From: "Robin M. Allen" <rmallen -at- TEXAS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:34:55 -0600

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wrote:

> Bill Brucksch <bbruck -at- HALCYON -dot- COM> wrote:
>
> > One tip that I saw in the archives recently involved the following:
> > Read through the paper and find companies that are hiring
> > programmers. About two weeks after the ads appear, write the
> > companies and tell them that you understand they're ramping up to
> > create new software and that you'd like to help with the
> > documentation of the software.
>
> I have seen this tip before, and it sounds as if it should work, but I
> have never heard of anybody who tried it. I would be very interested
> to hear first-hand accounts of how well the tip actually works in the
> marketplace.
>
> Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
> mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
> (standard disclaimer)

I submitted this tip a while back and although I have never signed a
contract, I receive a few responses each time I do a marketing mailing
like this. Most of my work comes from word of mouth and networking at
STC meetings, so I'm usually too busy to pursue the leads generated by
the mailing, but it does what it's supposed to do -- generate leads.

It beats a truly cold mailing or calling campaign.

:Robin Allen
mailto:rmallen -at- texas -dot- net