position opening, Vienna, Austria

Subject: position opening, Vienna, Austria
From: Michele_Berkes -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:42:00 -0400

Hello techwr-lers,

I found the following position description on the Web site at the
International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, Austria. It's not a good
match for me, but it sounded too interesting not to share. I've
omitted some info from this version; for the complete description, see
http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/vacancies/97p062.html .

N.B. I have *no* connections with regard to this position. Please see
http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/vacancies/ for links to the list of
open positions, details about how to apply, etc.

Happy hunting!
Michele Berkes
Energy Technology Data Exchange
michele_berkes -at- ccmail -dot- osti -dot- gov

+++++++++++++++

Safety Information Officer (Technical Writer)
Vacancy Notice No.: 97/062
Duty Station: Vienna, Austria

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

In general
As a member of the Department of Nuclear Safety, and under the
supervision of the Deputy Director General and the Head of the Safety
Co-ordination Section, to be responsible for the preparation of
technical material and the dissemination of information on nuclear,
radiation and radioactive waste safety.

In particular
- To prepare policy documents, technical reports and journal articles
on nuclear, radiation and radioactive waste safety, thereby providing
Member States with information on issues of importance based on
technical input;
- To assist in a review of the status of nuclear, radiation and
radioactive waste safety within the Agency and outside, and to
identify areas where the Agency should provide more information;
- To maintain reference information sources relevant to international
issues in the general areas of nuclear, radiation and radioactive
waste safety;
- To co-ordinate the development and maintenance of databases for
internal and external distribution of information on nuclear,
radiation and waste safety.

QUALIFICATIONS

Essential: Advanced university degree in a scientific field. At least
ten years' experience in professional writing and substantive editing
of scientific material, including at least two years' experience in
the nuclear field. Knowledge of the concepts of nuclear, radiation and
waste safety. Ability to generate text for different types of
readership, as well as to develop and maintain electronic databases.

Desirable: Working experience with a scientific organization, a major
publisher in the scientific field, or a governmental organization is
highly desirable. International experience would be an asset.
Understanding of Internet technology and experience in WWW publishing.

Languages: Fluency in English necessary. Knowledge of French, Russian
or Spanish desirable. Proficiency in written English essential.