HELP LIST READERS -Reply

Subject: HELP LIST READERS -Reply
From: Christine Fedruk <CFED44 -at- CBOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:13:53 -0600

Cassandra:
Same problem here. I've solved it two ways (depending on audience):

1) For novice users, use a little screensnap of the [Add] button.

2) For "regular" users, use a bold sans-serif font for the button name.
Since the rest of the procedure text is serif, the button name really
stands out. Most of our systems use mixed-case sans-serif fonts in their
GUIs, so that's why we go to the extra trouble to change it in the doc.

(I created a Character style called "ButtonText" and I use it in situations
like this. That way, when someone decides that we should use italics
instead of bold, I just have to change the _style_ and not 400 individual
procedures...)

And, FWIW, I would NOT recommend underlining -- if you ever go to
HTML or online help, it looks too much like a hyperlink! (Minor peeve of
mine...)

Good luck,
Christine

>>> (EXCH)" <CMPARKER -at- INTERMEDIA -dot- COM> 10/31/97 01:50pm >>>
<snip>
EX: "Select the Add button".
Would you say, Add button with Add:
a. in bold
b. underlined
c. in upper case
d. exactly as it is on the keyboard
In the area where I'm working, I have seen it all four ways and want to
choose one method.