Re: rec a java book?

Subject: Re: rec a java book?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:12:15 -0800

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:32:39 -0600, Walker, Arlen P wrote:

>I almost wonder why anyone with web access beginning to learn Java wants to
>*buy* anything?

A book, you can read in the loo. :-)

>On www.javasoft.com there's an abundance of tutorial
>material, and the SDKs to build java applets and java apps are freely
>available all over the web. (I began my walk into Java with the javasoft
>tutorial and the free 30-day trial version of Roaster.)

Alas, more often than not such "cool tools" require Win32 or something
equally pervasive and useless.

I've recently discovered "Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days". Haven't
started into it yet, but on a quick glance through it looks very
promising, very well-structured.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>