Re: JavaHelp vs. HTML help

Subject: Re: JavaHelp vs. HTML help
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:13:05 -0800

Kelly Williamson sez:
I have been tasked with writing a small, online help system for
a translation tool. The tool is being developed in Java. Before
I can begin writing the help, I have to decide how to present it.
I am restricted to HTML-based help, because it must be platform-
independent.
<<<<

JavaHelp is scheduled for release in Q2 98. Until then, your options are
limited. I researched this a lot. You can use:

- Jelp. See http://www.jelp.com/

- jHelp. See http://w3.nai.net/~rvdi/jhelp/jhelp2/jhelp.html

- Helplet. See http://www.visualtek.com/helplet/

- A homegrown help system built around the Bean version of the HotJava
browser. See
http://www.javasoft.com:81/products/hotjava/bean/index.html.

I'm in the same boat, and after fiddling with the various options, I
think that the way to go is to build something around the HotJava bean.
Let me know what you think after you look at the various options.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com