Re: FWD: Who is my audience?

Subject: Re: FWD: Who is my audience?
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:43:43 -0600

Joe Klein* wrote --

> >1. Which type of documentation would you consider to be a priority?

I'd look closely at web-based help or even finding a Java-based help
application, because both of them are platform independent, which might
be important in your situation now or later.

> >2. Would you write for the rolodex users? The programmers? The secretaries (who only look at information)? The registrarial staff (who change all types of information)? Does anybody have an opinion about my audience?

That's the beauty of on-line documentation. If you structure it right,
people won't see more than what they need (or at least not much more).
Give them a search engine with some HTML, create a few index pages (one
for secretaries, one for registrars, one for the geek writing his own
UNIX compiler...) and they _really_ won't see the extra info.

> >3. Does anybody know if a technical training listserv exists?

I don't know. I know there used to be a technical training forum in
CompuServe, but that was about three years ago.

* -- If you want me to explain the Joe Klein reference, send me an
e-mail message.
--
Chris Hamilton, Senior Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel