PDF vs WinHelp

Subject: PDF vs WinHelp
From: Susan Sackett-Wilk <SusanS -at- MICROGRAFX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:47:02 -0600

I'm hoping that some of you have faced this discussion in your
companies.

My company is considering moving all reference and procedural material
from WinHelp to PDF. (What's left in WinHelp will be context-sensitive
help.) Has anyone done this? If so, how did your customers respond?

Question for all PDF providers: Do your users prefer to read the
electronic document on screen or do they print it? (I'm sure they do
both, but it'd be nice to know if people tend to do one or the other
more often.)

Disclaimer: I think this is a bad idea. I'd prefer to leave the
information in help and duplicate it in PDF format. The primary reason
they're wanting to do this is because localizing FrameMaker files is
cheaper than localizing Help files. Surprisingly, they're not interested
in our investigation into single-sourcing.

Our products, and our users, are mainstream. It seems to me that people
are more familiar with the WinHelp mechanism as an information deliver
device than PDF.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Susan