Re: Windows NT versus Windows 95

Subject: Re: Windows NT versus Windows 95
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:06:38 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Victoria Inness-Brown <victoria -at- CTS -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Friday, October 24, 1997 10:19 AM
Subject: Windows NT versus Windows 95

>I'm upgrading my PC, and am thinking of switching from Windows 95 to
Windows
>NT, hoping that it is more stable. I've been told that almost all my
>programs will still work. Has that been anyone's experience? Is it more
>stable? I'll be installing the software Tuesday evening, so I'd appreciate
>timely responses.

I use WinNT 4.0 at work and Win95 at home. I am a programmer, not a writer,
so I don't have much choice. I need to tools offered by NT.

Both work equally well. I have had problems with NT 4.0 going to a blue
screen; however, that only occurs due to a hardware conflict between McAfee
NetShield Antivirus and NT and only when I try to access a peripheral device
such as a floppy or CD-ROM drive. NT gives me more flexibility and tools. It
has better tools for managing users, monitoring machine performance such as
a web server, starting and stopping services, managing tasks, managing
Internet services such as WWW, FTP, and Gopher.

At the same time, there's something comforting about Win95. It's very
reliable and easy to use.

What would I recommend? That depends on what you need. If you're going to be
managing one or more web servers, I'd definitely go with NT. If you're a
user who likes good hardware/software management tools, I'd go with NT. If
you're a power user who just needs to get a lot of work done, I'd have to
recommend Win95.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com