Re: entry level writers; was predicting successful writers

Subject: Re: entry level writers; was predicting successful writers
From: Marvin Cochrane <cochrane -at- TSUFL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 20:05:12 -0500

>Here's something related that I've wondered about: what do people expect
>from entry-level writers and entry-level positions?

Entry level means it is an opportunity for a sharp person to get started and
learn.

I have done some hiring where a degree was required and entry level was
preferred. Entry level meant a former job as a writer was not expected. It
also meant that familiarity with specific tools was not expected. I also
preferred that the degree be technical because the material was technical.
However, the individual was applying for a writing job, and I would expect
to discover some evidence of interest, education, and/or experience in the
field. I looked for someone who seemed genuinely interested in the tasks we
had, who seemed eager and able to learn, and who would be a good personality
fit within our documentation and software development teams. It always
worked out. It was also how I was hired for my first technical writing job.

Marv Cochrane
lurker