Re: predicting successful writers

Subject: Re: predicting successful writers
From: Anne Halsey <JMH42 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 11:05:30 -0400

Hillary inquired about what employers expect when they
advertise for entry level writers.

At a former company, we expected:

- an applicable degree (at that time, English, journalism,
instructional technology, or tech comm) or equivalent
experience

- a minimum of one year writing experience in a technical
arena

- skill with at least one of the "major" word processors
(MS Word, Word Perfect) or DTP packages (Frame,
Interleaf)

In addition, we required the candidate to provide a portfolio
at the time of interview. We focused on the portfolio, and
asked a great many questions designed to discover whether
the person did, in fact, work on the pieces s/he presented.

IMO, this was a reasonable expectation set for an entry-level
position.

Anne Halsey
ahalsey -at- lucent -dot- com
jmh42 -at- aol -dot- com