Re: Job Title

Subject: Re: Job Title
From: David Dvorkin <dvorkin -at- BOLIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:32:31 -0600

jmalone1 -at- flash -dot- net wrote:

>I accepted a job at a startup yesterday, and in preparing the offer
>letter, the CEO asked me what I'd like my job title to be. Since the
>company hopes to grow, so that I'd recruit other writers to help me -
>and manage them - I suggested "Manager of Technical Publications." He
>pointed out that in addition to hardcopy and online, I'd also be doing
>training materials, datasheets, magazine articles, etc., etc.,...
>
>So I suggested "Manager of Technical Communications." That didn't seem
>to quite encompass the totality of the thing, but we left it at that.
>
>So, my questions is, are there any current nifty job titles current out
>there for this sort of thing?

A popular buzz-word nowadays is Information Development. So you could
be Manager of Information Development, and the people working for you
will be Information Developers. And if you find them hard to manage, youi
can tell them that "You're driving me MID!"

David Dvorkin
Qualix Group, Inc.
Boulder Development Ctr.
mailto:dvorkin -at- bolix -dot- com