How much to charge to handling printing?

Subject: How much to charge to handling printing?
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:52:50 GMT

One of my clients has asked me to handle printing of the manuals for
them. We'll be doing 10 to 20 manuals at a time to a high-speed laser
printer through a print shop.

Normally, I produce final copy and my client handles the printing.
Therefore, I've never had to set prices for the final printing.

My main questions are:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to charge for this service?
Should I go straight hourly plus the price of the printing? Or do some
kind of flat-rate per page, basing a markup on a percentage of the
printing cost? (I'm expecting to get more work from this client, so I
would look to incorporating initial startup costs --- getting a
printer, working through the headaches of the first print run --- into
the flat-rate.)

2. I've done file-to-print from Ventura, Frame, and Interleaf, but
never from Word 7, which this manual is done in. Anyone have any
suggestions or warnings? I was planning to send the files to a
Postscript print file.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.