names for the "English" alphabet

Subject: names for the "English" alphabet
From: "Amy E. Brown" <abrown -at- OPENMARKET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:45:31 -0400

Folks,

In our software, user names must be entered in 7-bit ASCII characters.

To my understanding, this means: user names must be entered in letters from the latin alphabet or arabic numerals.

Some folks want me to say "English letters". The problem is, our software (including the interface) is being translated into several languages, and I have a feeling that French users would wonder why they were confined to the "English" alphabet when their own (a/k/a latin) alphabet would suffice.

Anyone got a more user-friendly suggestion? I've got engineers telling me how to do my job here, and I'm not a happy camper.

Regards,

Amy Brown
abrown -at- openmarket -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!