Copyediting FAQ and other lists for TWs

Subject: Copyediting FAQ and other lists for TWs
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:25:34 +0800

Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK> said:
> There are other places where discussion might be better placed: The
> copy-ed list has a slightly rambling, friendly atmosphere, where
> discussions ranges over a very wide range of topics. I'm not a
> member, because the traffic is too high -- I just don't have time
> to keep up with it.

If you can't keep up with the traffic on copyedit-l, the next best
thing is to read the FAQ. It covers many of the questions that trudge
wearily along the techwr-l treadmill from time to time. Reading these
may not always change your mind, but you will be better informed.

Unfortunately I don't have the FAQ details with me -- Geoff, can you
help? But here is the subscription address for the list:

Topic: Copyediting (discussion)
Address: listproc -at- cornell -dot- edu
Message: subscribe copyediting-l Your Name

If you really have a lot of time on your hands, the alt.usage.english
news group is devoted to questions of English usage around the world.
Imagine that all the TECHWR-L threads about grammar, punctuation,
spelling, usage, Ebonics, slang, regionalisms, dictionaries, political
correctness and the serial comma were spun off to a separate list.
That's a.u.e.

When I stopped reading the list a couple of years ago it was said to
have about 80,000 readers, so imagine TECHWR-L multiplied by forty or
so. The smart people are smarter! The dumb replies are dumber! The
wits are wittier! The spam is spammier!

There was a list formed last year called OffTopic1, for the express
purpose of allowing techwhirlers to "let our hair down after a hard
day of being strictly professional." It had "no rules other than those
of free speech", and was a haven for notorious troublemakers like. . .
well, they can't be named for legal reasons, so we'll refer to them
simply as 'Sue G' and 'Sandra C'.

Does anyone know if OffTopic1 is still going?

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield "When the final deadline came to pass
Functional Software Pty Ltd A style guide was no good. . ."
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au -- Gene Pitney
'The Man Who Certified Liberty Valance'

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!