Re: Ok, let me have it. Mired in minutiae.

Subject: Re: Ok, let me have it. Mired in minutiae.
From: Megan McMacken <mcmackme -at- FRC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:16:51 -0400

>If we sidestep the "your / you're" issue, what about this use of the word
>"hopefully."

I had a college professor who spent half of a lecture discussing the misuse
of the word "hopefully." It's an adverb, but writers and speakers very
rarely associate it with a verb. I finally decided to go ahead and misuse
it in conversation and informal writing, but I think I have successfully
purged it from my professional vocabulary. :)

Another word that is often misused is "impact." An "impact" (n) is a
"forceful contact, collision, or onset." To "impact" (v) is to "press
together; to have an impact on." So what does it mean to have a "positive
impact" on someone or something? Gee, sounds rather painful. In most cases
"positive influence" or "positive effect" is what a writer is really trying
to say.

Perhaps "impact" should fall into the same category as "proactive."