Re: Why should I go to a conference?

Subject: Re: Why should I go to a conference?
From: Jason Huntington <JasonH -at- CAPTURA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:28:34 -0700

Anne,

By now you have probably sold your boss (and your boss's boss) on the
conference using the ammo supplied by other list members. But on the
chance that you haven't and because I like the sound of my own ideas,
I'll add some more tips like--high pressure. Phrase your motive
something like, "This is the last opportunity I'll have for this
essential experience for a whole year."

If your boss is especially obtuse, add that a whole year is equivalent
to twelve whole months. Bigger numbers and empty adjectives tend to
impress the obtuse.

If your boss has a short attention span, don't break the information
into two whole sentences; stick with "...for twelve whole months." and
leave it at that. Don't write it down because then your boss can use
your claim against you later. Keep it verbal and very, very simple.

Oh yeah, and pick your battles. After all, after November has gone,
after you have submitted your expense report to Accounting, and your
sense of the importance of the conference has peeled from you like the
bark from the madrona trees outside your boss's boss's office, you might
develop an urgent hankering for a carpal tunnel wrist brace.

Half seriously,

Jason R Huntington
Senior Technical Writer
(425) 487.9484 x146