Re: Fonts

Subject: Re: Fonts
From: John Cornellier <john -dot- cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- CARDS -dot- DELARUE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:19:47 GMT

Hi Jennifer,

Advantages of TT:
for the overwhelming majority of applications it ain't broke so don't fix it
some of the fonts (eg Arial) are supplied with the Windows OS and so everyone
with Windows should have them installed
works well with HLP compilers
save money and time by not having to install (and keep up to date) Adobe Type
Manager
good screenfonts

Advantages of PS fonts:
PS printers with PS fonts installed in their memory apparently can substitute
same-named fonts for your TT fonts, reducing WYSISWYGness
PS fonts seem to be _recommended_ for creating PDF files (though TT fonts seem
to work in my limited experience and from what I've heard anecdotally. Maybe the
problem with TT fonts is only with older versions of Acrobat?)
The received wisdom, and my experience says that if you are producing PS files
to be sent to a professional print shop, PS fonts are more cross-platformish and
reliable.

TT works just fine. I'm sure there are lots of people on this list
who could write in saying that they use nothing but TT for PDF and PS
and printing and never have any problems. In my opinion you have to
have some pretty compelling reasons to go buy and install the extra
ATM software.

If many of your docs are, as you say, under 50 pages then Word is
probably a better tool than PageMaker.

Maybe you can strike a compromise with your one factory that "copies
& pastes into Pagemaker and changes to Post Script fonts": get them
to agree to use Word if you all start using PS fonts. Sometimes the
best political solution, is not the ideal technical solution!

As usual, better check the archives on this topic.

John
mailto:john -dot- cornellier -at- paris -dot- cards -dot- delarue -dot- com