Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: michael moore <mayhawk -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:31:52 PDT

Hello all,

This is my first post after subscribing for about two months, so I want
to give you a little background about myself before I begin engaging in
the discourse on the list.

I am 29 years old and a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army Reserves
in Signal Officer Basic Course at Fort Gordon. I am from the
Raleigh-Durham area and am a thesis away from completing a Master of
Arts degree in English literature. I have spent years working part time
jobs to get to this point and want to begin a career in technical
writing. I have a number of software companies "pop up" in the area and
watched my girlfriend walk right into a job doing technical writing
because she had about a year of experience writing at North Carolina
State University for the computing department. She has not earned her
Bachelor's degree and is making more money than I thought I could ever
make before I reached my thirties.

I started teaching myself to program in C++ and am now working
diligently on composing my own series of homepages to build up a
portfolio that presently consists of a document I wrote for the NCDOT,
one I just wrote for my fellow lieutenants here at SOBC, and the
literary magazine I edited as an undergraduate in 1990. I am highly
motivated, organized, and a talented writer. I know as much about
computers as some computer science majors, but I just haven't had the
lucky breaks I need to have started my writing career by now.

I am learning about LAN administration and telecommunications here and
enjoying myself in my training. In February 98, I will be returning to
the Raleigh-Durham area and have already begun looking for work.

Having said that, I have a series of questions:
1. Given my experience and background so far, how long after the 6th of
February could it be speculated that I will find work?
2. What kind of starting salary could I expect to make?
3. Is there anyone on the listserv in the Raleigh-Durham area willing
to look at my resume and give me the chance to show I have some valuable
assets to add to their team as of February?

Michael D. Moore