Re: Is "proactive" really a word?

Subject: Re: Is "proactive" really a word?
From: Dale Barnes <endale -at- LSUVM -dot- SNCC -dot- LSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:07:06 -0500

At 08:04 AM 10/15/97 -0400, Ron D Rhodes wrote:
> Dear Grammarians,
>
> Is "proactive" a word?

Checking the American Heritage Dictionary, I find this definition: "Acting
in advance to deal with an expected difficulty; anticipatory."

I share your skepticism about the word; somehow it doesn't ring right. But I
do remember my dissertation director--almost twenty years ago--saying that
he was a proactive department chair. He was an editor and a careful user of
words, and I'm very authority oriented, so I've reluctantly admitted the
word to my active (not proactive) vocabulary.

Best wishes,
Dale Barnes

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=====
* Arthur D. Barnes ++ Office Phone: (504) 388-3024 *
* Department of English ++ Fax: (504) 388-4129 *
* Louisiana State University ++ http://www2.artsci.lsu.edu:/english/barnes/*
* Baton Rouge, LA 70808 ++ Email: endale -at- lsusvm -dot- sncc -dot- lsu -dot- edu *
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=====