Re: need advice on promotion (kind of long)

Subject: Re: need advice on promotion (kind of long)
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:21:19 -0500

> I would say the one thing to accept is that your relationship with them
> *will* probably change, if you want to be a good manager of your
projects.
> You've probably realized this already, but firmly accepting and
> anticipating the change will help make your transition smoother.

<The rest of Cathy Carr's very good advice snipped>

I agree completely with Cathy. There's a big difference between
doing and managing.

My first experience with managing others was a bad one.
I managed my staff the way I like to be managed, and it didn't
work. My staff ended up hating me. It hadn't occurred to me
that the same management style doesn't work on everyone.

Things got much better once I took a couple of company-
sponsored courses on how to manage employees. If your
company doesn't have anything like this, get your hands on
some books or tapes.

Best of luck!

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com