Re: Putting doc email address in user docs?

Subject: Re: Putting doc email address in user docs?
From: "L. Wong" <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:22:25 -0400

I think the suggestion to provide an e-mail address for documentation
suggestions is excellent. I'll definitely check into it at our company.
The audience for our products is developers, and I have a feeling
they'll be much more likely to fire off an e-mail note about something
in the documentation than to fill out a form, pick up the phone, or
write a letter.

We did do an online survey specifically about documentation that was
posted on our website. (Our website has a series of surveys asking
customers about different things.) We did offer a prize drawing for the
people
who answered the survey. We received good results, in terms of numbers.
The answers to our questions, however, were pretty scattered. I guess
one person's helpful guide is another's useless appendix.

I wonder if an e-mail address wouldn't provide a better means of getting
useful feedback. Someone filling out a survey might not have looked at
the manual in weeks, but simply be surfing the net and fill out the
survey as he or she happens on it. Someone taking the time to e-mail
might be more likely to have constructive and detailed criticisms (and
praise?!).

Thanks to David Castro for pointing out the documentation e-mail address
idea.

Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.