Re: Shareware icons

Subject: Re: Shareware icons
From: Lisa Higgins <lisarea -at- DRUAK -dot- DR -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:22:14 +0000

> Gee, I didn't know people PAID for these things. They are freely
> available all over the web.

I'm probably getting a little off topic here, but I think this really
needs to be said.

I don't see what right we have, as writers, to complain about people
not recognizing our value while we seem to have this aversion to
paying for others' works.

Once upon a time, I made my 'living' as a graphic artist. Trust me,
people. If you think you're taken for granted now, try being a
designer. Despite the fact that probably 90% of the population has
the artistic ability of 5-year-olds, people assume that art
should be free. Nobody seems to hesitate to snag graphics off
webpages, cut things out of magazines, trace and copy pictures, etc.
Walk into a copy shop sometime with two things: a published article
of some sort, and a published graphic. Go to the counter and ask them
to make copies for you. Odds are, they'll tell you they can't copy
copyrighted material, but they'll copy the graphic for you. (Duh.)

Someone had to create all this stuff, and while there is a lot of
stuff that's available as freeware, etc., remember that a lot of it
is just plain pilfered, too.

It's generally a good idea to eye these archives suspiciously. The
massive CD compilations are worse, even. My preferred source for any
artwork--graphics, illustrations, typefaces--is the artist. Most of
these guys have some free stuff available as an incentive for you to
buy something someday. I do, and if you're using their free stuff a
lot, so should you.

See www.typeright.com for some interesting perspective on the type
design angle of this issue.

THIS IS TOO ON TOPIC!!! IS TOO!!!! ALSO, ERIC RAY IS THE
K-RAD-I-KEWLEST LISTGUY IN THE WORLD WHO WOULD NEVER YELL AT ME
BECAUSE I AM *ON*TOPIC*!!!!!1!!!

Lisa.
lhiggins -at- lucent -dot- com