Re: questions about professional tech writing

Subject: Re: questions about professional tech writing
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:00:41 -0700

Jonathan Soukup wrote:

> Here we go, this is more of what I was expecting. For someone who is
> new to technical writing this doesn't make much sense. I mean I have been
> trained to do in depth reasearch about given subjects and compose text to
> relate my discoveries to a general audience, but I have no concept of
> these areas. I know computer software. I know quite a bit about computer
> hardware and I know the basics of networking. These areas that you
> mention sound like I should be conducting statistical measurements. Could
> someone elaborate for me? -Jonathan

You might consider using some of your research skills to look into this
profession. Start with finding out about Society for Technical
Communication-- check your library for their journal (_Technical
Communication_), and see if there's a local chapter you could join. And
here's a URL to a site that has lots of books that will tell you all
about the different areas of technical writing:

http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/twritres.html

Then you might find out if there are tech writing classes offered at
your school and make appointments to talk to the professor(s). See if
they can recommend some texts or books, or maybe suggest classes or
internship/job opportunities.

Hope these suggestions are useful!

--Hillary Jones