Re: "a lot" Question

Subject: Re: "a lot" Question
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 08:05:50 -0800

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:28:10 -0500, Pat Gantt wrote:

>I like "a lot" alot;-)
>
>Sorry. Be glad when "alot" is the accepted spelling.
>
>English keeps evolving and changing...
>As does learning, our thinking about thinking,
>the world, and human beings.

Language "evolving" is one thing. "Alot" has a meaning of its own, and
using it instead of "a lot" isn't evolution, it's just plain laziness.

Changing a word or usage for the sake of "political correctness" is one
thing; changing it just because you can't remember the proper spelling is
quite another.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>