Re: work permit Catch-22

Subject: Re: work permit Catch-22
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 07:48:05 -0800

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:53:48 -0400, Jim Lindsey wrote:

>I am in a bind with regard to getting a work permit to work in another
>country. The country is Holland. The agency involved has put me forward
>for the contract, and says the client likes me, but that I need to have a
>work permit before the process can continue. So I called the Consulate
>General of the Netherlands in Halifax, and was told that I have to have the
>job before I can get the work permit. So it's Catch-22. I have to have
>the permit to get the job, but I can't get the permit until I have the job.
>
>Does anyone know the solution to this? There must be one.

FWIW, this isn't specific to Holland; my wife ran into the same catch-22
when she tried to get a job here in Vancouver (she's originally from
Chicago).

It Holland works the same way, all they need is assurance (written,
signed, and it probably wouldn't hurt to have it notarized) from the
company that once you have the permit, you have a job waiting for you.
The company can "hire" you without a work permit, but you can't actually
start working without it.

At least, that's the way it worked in Canada in 1990/91. Ideally, your
Dutch Consulate should be able to tell you exactly HOW to get through the
passage, not just inform you of where the rock and the hard place are and
let you navigate your own way.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>