Thanks: Final Interview Tips--"a lot" Question

Subject: Thanks: Final Interview Tips--"a lot" Question
From: George Williams <williamg -at- MTS -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:39:09 +1600

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for final interview
tips.

I thought it went well-I ordered water and a spinach salad(very
safe). The only low point of the interview was when he asked if I
had only written about horse racing in my features and columns. I had
to answer yes, with the exception of some features done on
businessmen and women.

I wasn't 100% prepared to explain, that after 500 published features
and columns done to deadline, based on 1000s of interviews, that I
could basically walk into a room(or wherever) anywhere at any time ,
interview anyone on any subject, get a focus for the piece, make the
quotes understandable to the particular audience, and write it up,
probably in less than an hour.

I did the best I could, But I'm not sure someone who is not a writer,
quite understands that, writing in plain english and editing on any
subject, is easy(or easier), when you've done it every day for
almost seven years.

By the way, I used just about every tip sent to me on how to handle a
lunch interview, and the advice was not only excellent, but much
appreciated.

One more question-Someone sent me the correct spelling for alot.
(a lot). Does anybody have some replacement words for "a lot", as
used in a sentence. This is one coupling of words, I seem to use "a
lot."

Thanks,
George Williams
George Williams
williamg -at- MTS -dot- Net
"If you play-You always have a chance to win."