Re: non-compete clauses

Subject: Re: non-compete clauses
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 19:40:15 GMT

Elna,

with translations, those non-compete clauses are even more ridiculous. In
many cases, companies have translations done through several agencies. Most
translators who do work for agencies do so with several ones.

Quite often, the translator does not even get to know who the client really
is. So, if he signs a non-compete agreement covering clients of a certain
agencies, he may unknowingly violate it when he does work for another
agency.

In my (Swiss) practice, I always cancel non-compete clauses, or at least do
rephrase them that I will not actively look for similar assignments in that
particular department of the agencies client for a certain time.

If the client does want me, I will let them know about possible problems,
and I will have them protect me against attacks from the agency. Well, if
the clients directly wants me, the agency's services weren't that good
anyway.

Just my two cents.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com