Re: Icons

Subject: Re: Icons
From: "Burns, Nancy" <nburns -at- BREAULT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:26:11 -0000

> From: Vickie Morgan <vmorgan -at- GREENVILLENC -dot- COM>
> Date: Sunday, October 05, 1997 5:17 PM
<snip>
> I am a technical communication graduate student. I am required to give
> a presentation on technology (3 hrs) to my classmates. I am wondering
> if anyone knows where I can find information on international icons.

The following references were cited in an article by Deborah S. Bosley:
"International Graphics: A Search for Neutral Territory," in InterCom
(August/September 1996), a magazine published by The Society for Technical
Communication. In addition, William Horton published "The Icon Book", which
may be of help. His web site is http://www.horton.com/brochure. Nancy Hoft
has also published a book on international technical communications. Her
web site is http://www.world-ready.com/.

Burnett, Rebecca, 1996. "Technical Communication". New York: Wadsworth.

Easterby, Ronald, and Harm Zwaga. 1984. "Information Design: The Design and
Evaluation of Signs and Printed Material".

Helfman, Elizabeth S. 1967. "Signs and Symbols Around the World". New York:
Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Co., Inc.

Horton, William. 1993. "The Almost Universal Language: Graphics for
International Documents." Technical Communication (Fourth Quarter):682-693.

Jones, Scott, et al. 1992. Developing International User Information.
Bedford, Mass.: Digital Press.

Thrush, Emily. 1993. "Bridging the Gaps: Technical Communication in an
International and Multicultural Society." Technical Communication
Quarterly, vol. 2, no. 3: 271-283.

Nancy Burns
nburns -at- breault -dot- com