Numbering Word headings

Subject: Numbering Word headings
From: Lalitha Subramaniam <lalithas -at- DELHI -dot- TCS -dot- CO -dot- IN>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 12:29:45 +0500

To Word Experts:

Can we have heading numbering defined for user-defined styles in Word 7 on
95? Word 97 lets you define styles, (other than the template styles of
heading 1, heading 2 etc of normal.dot) say h1, h2...h5, with auto
numbering. But how do we achieve this in Word 7 or less? The numbering
facility available does not pick up the sequence from previous heading
levels and wouldn't show up on the outline -- that is,in the outline mode
when you want to look at the headings alone. (We've tried out creating on
W97 and saving as W6/95; the styles lose the numbers as expected!)

If we risk redefining the normal.dot styles to suit our requirements, we
need a lot of precautions to stave off styles reverting to normal or taking
on properties from individual machine settings. We work in a networking
environment with 50 users having to use the same template and cannot allow
style deviations. The dangers are real, we've experienced nightmarish
inconsistencies from new or unwary users!

Can someone tell us:
*How to create a set of styles with heading numbering that gets incremented
from a style's own previous occurrence or from the previous level's previous
occurrence? [A h4 occurring after another h4 should get the number
k.l.m.(n+1);A h4 occurring after a h3 should get the number k.l.(m+1).n]
*Alternatively what are the complete set of precautions that would safeguard
against possible exceptional behaviour if we redefine normal template styles?

If you've not experienced this so far, we hope you find the 'poser'
interesting enough to put on the thinking cap! Thanks...

Lalitha.