Breaking into usability design/consulting

Subject: Breaking into usability design/consulting
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 15:04:38 -0500

I have kind of an odd, whimsical forward-looking question for the list. How
does one get involved with usability design/consulting, especially as is
related to WWW/interface design?I've always been interested in the subject,
and as I'm redesigning our corporate website, I've been reading with great
interest article upon article about the tradeoffs between cutting-edge
technology and usability, and navigational paradigms, etc., and I've found
that designing a new visual and informational site architecture to be some
of the most mentally challenging and personally rewarding work I've ever
done. What kind of market is there for this type of online
information/visual design consulting? Would I need an advanced degree in
something (what? Tech Writing? Computer Science? Design?), or are there
classes or seminars I could take, or is it all experience-based? This isn't
something I'd be looking to do in the short-term, but more as a possible
future career goal. At present I've got an external web site to tackle, and
an intranet waiting for me after that.

Any thoughts, opinions, advices:)?

Thanks in advance for humoring me,

Jennifer Jelinek