Re: Robohelp 4: Borders in tables?

Subject: Re: Robohelp 4: Borders in tables?
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -dot- bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:40:38 -0500

All:

I'll say this eventhough someone's pointed this out earlier... and then
get to a gripe of mine about WinHelp and people not knowing what they're
making when they're using a WHAT.

Geoff Lane wrote:

> I understand that WinHelp can't create table rules -- because I have
> the
> same problem with Doc-2-Help. Doesn't HDK use its own format (and not
>
> WinHelp) for its output?

No! Doc2Help, RoboHelp, HDK, ForeHelp, HelpBreeze, HelpMagician, et.
al. ALL OUTPUT Either HTML or .HLP files. That's it.

The Microsoft Windows Help Compiler does not allow borders in tables.
There are two work arounds, and both involve graphics, no matter which
WHAT you're using:

1. Make a screen shot (graphic) of the table, and paste into the help
file
2. put lines (graphics) inbetween the rows (still no vertical rules in
this solution)

That's it.<BOBBITT>

<RANT>Now... to the rant. All of the WHAT's (Windows Help Authoring
Tools) produce WinHelp(or as a recent addition HTMLHelp or NetHelp).
When you work in RoboHelp, you are producing WinHelp files, not ROBOHELP
files. Same thing goes for HDK, and the rest of the group I listed
above.

Before firing up RoboHelp or another WHAT, I strongly recommend that you
do a little research into how WinHelp is built. Either Mary Deaton's
Developing WinHelp book ( http://www.kware.com ) or Joe Welinske/Jean
Farkas/Scott Boggan's Developing WinHelp book (
http://www.winwriters.com ) are MUST HAVE's for ANYONE doing WinHelp.

If you would like to know more about building WinHelp, there's also
another list that may offer you more assistance. Visit Michael
Krigsman's ( http://www.documentation.com ) site for instructions on how
to join winhelp-l or to search the archives there. </RANT>

greets from sunny and hot (gonna be 90 today!!) St. Lou.
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

Prediction 4
"The people who are studying Tai Chi Chuan instead
of saving money are planning to beat us up and take
our stuff when we've retired"

Scott Adams - The Dilbert Future