Eric sez--Grad Classes online

Subject: Eric sez--Grad Classes online
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:35:47 -0600

Eric has complained that I have not given you guys enough information about
the online classes we are teaching this quarter in particular or this program
in more generally. Furthermore, I have received dozens of messages for more
information. With your indulgence, I will take a few moments to explain what
we are doing here.

You can find more information about the program at:
http://english.usu.edu/English413/Hailey/program.shtml
and at
http://www.usu.edu/~english/tech/tech.html.
(Sorry the URL is so long.) You need to be using Netscape 3.0 or later
because there is a great deal of Java and JavaScripting in the site.

The Program:
In short, the program is designed to allow you to receive a complete MS degree
in Technical Writing without having to leave your jobs. You can take 4 online
classes per year and finish a degree in two years--8 classes plus internship
(your job or freelance work counts toward internship) and a defendable
portfolio. . . .or you can just take a class from time to time, if there is
room.

Tuition:
In-state, out-of-state, and international tuitions are the same: about $260
plus a $25 delivery fee that we are not yet charging.

Online Classes:
We are offering two classes this quarter:

George Hayhoe is teaching an online class in Publications Management. You can
see his course description and syllabus at:
http://www.ghayhoe.com/Engl613/index.htm.
George*s syllabus will be attached to his class site at USU within the next
day or so:
http://english.usu.edu/English613/Hayhoe/index.htm.

In December, InterCom Magazine will publish an article about a two year
research project I did in work technical/professional writers do. In short,
my research indicates that Publications Management is the most important
professional skill you can have if you want to advance in a company. If I
were going to take only one class and only from one person, this is the class
I would take, and George is the person I would choose to teach me. This class
tops at 25 students; there are still a few spaces available.

The call number for this class is 15086. It is called English
613--Publications Management. You can register by calling Vicky Larson at 1
801 797-3697 or 1 435 797-3697 (our area code is in the process of being
changed--either works). You can pay for the class by check or credit card.

I will be teaching an online class in intranet design and management. The
syllabus will be posted to http://english.usu.edu/English613/Hailey/index.htm
early Thursday AM (2 Oct).
The call number for my class is 15066. The course name is English
613--Technology and the Writer. You register through Vicky Larson.

Something New:
This class is a little different, however. If you do not want to spend the
money for the class, you are welcome anyway. I will make a place for anybody
who wants to attend. Obviously, I can*t give you credit if you do not
register, but you can interact fully with the class as a participating student
if you want to try it out. If you decide you want credit, you can register up
to three weeks late. If you just want to contribute and learn but not
register, that*s ok too--sort of a *shareware* approach to education.

Down the Road:
Our department has written grants for over 3 million dollars over the past
three years. Of that 1.5 million has been granted with 1.5 still outstanding.
We will be offering an online class in grantsmanship.

We are also known as one of the major players in help file research. We will
also be offering an online help file authoring workshop.

I hope for those of you who asked for more, this meets some of your needs, and
for those of you who didn't care, why are you reading this sentence?

Regards to all of you. . . .

David Hailey
Assistant Professor
Professional Writing/Online Information