Reposting of STYLE: alphabetizing list of symbols

Subject: Reposting of STYLE: alphabetizing list of symbols
From: Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:23:05 -0500

Well, that was a mess! I didn't realize I'd pasted in all that coding, so here goes again:

I'm not a member of the indexing list, so I'm posting this query to COPYEDITING-L and TECHWR-L: How to alphabetically organize lists of symbols presented in a glossary? For example (the underscore precedes a subscript):

H hydrogen index
h thickness or height above the free-water level
H_gas hydrogen index of gas
H_h hydrogen index of hydrocarbons
h_mc mudcake thickness or tool standoff
H_oil hydrogen index of oil
H_w hydrogen index of water

I'm using letter-by-letter alphabetization. Chicago 14th says at 17.99 that "when a person, a place, and a thing have the same name, they are arranged in normal alphabetical order." I have both capital letter H and lowercase letter h symbols -- which should go first? I didn't see a suggestion for this in Chicago, save for the example list on page 739, in which the word "newt" precedes the acronym "NEWT" (and how would "Newt" for Speaker Gingrich's first name be included?). Thanks, Elsa

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(281)285-7563, fax -8545
TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or SIGNOFF TECHWR-L). Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search and browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html