Re: Frame -> Word

Subject: Re: Frame -> Word
From: Pete Kloppenburg <pkloppen -at- CERTICOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:24:53 -0400

Mike Dannenberg schrieb:
> Emma Heftman schrieb:
> > Dear all
> > My company's decided that all internal documentation should be in Word
> > format, despite
> > the fact that most of our manuals were written in FrameMaker.

> Changing from Frame to Word is about the most pointy-haired decision
> you can think of, the pain of converting and the loss of functionality
> and reliability will outweigh any possible (or imagined) gains.
> If it's really just a matter of making the docs available for viewing,
> you might suggest converting to PDF.

I agree with Mike on this. An extra problem with requiring that all
documents be distributed company wide in Word format is that this
system could easily become an efficient path of infection for Word macro
viruses of all kinds. No problem with Frame or PDF on that account.

Plus, PDF has that lovely ability to provide hyperlinks in documents.
That's tough to beat with a stick.

Pete Kloppenburg - pkloppen -at- certicom -dot- com
Technical Writer
Certicom Corp
Mississauga, Ontario,
Canada