dumb question for today: button or key?

Subject: dumb question for today: button or key?
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:21:30 -0400

What do you choose to call the thingies that you press on
equipment (this isn't software or computers) to make things happen? My SME
likes "key" but can live with "button," which I prefer (more familiar,
common usage). Anybody have
(a) a better idea?
(b) a reference?
The thingies are like thingies you press on anything--a VCR, a
microwave, a stereo, as in "Press the SPEED SET [thingie]."
TIA,

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)
durl -at- buffnet -dot- net