Display/Appear

Subject: Display/Appear
From: Emma Heftman <emma -at- AMIL -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 14:01:11 IST

Can some-one please send me the message on when it's best to use appear, and
when to use display. Some-one, I believe, said that they disapproved of
"is displayed", but some-one else added that "appears" sounds like magic.
I'm trying to describe a certain area of a screen.
Should it be:
"The line of information that is displayed at the top of the screen refers to..
or
"The line of information that appears ..."
or
" The Device Identity screen displays a line of information at the top of the
screen, which refers..."

Any suggestions from the experts (please don't refer to the part that says the line
of info, I justused it to simplify the topic).

Thanks
Emma
emma -at- amil -dot- co -dot- il