Telephone systems for home workers

Subject: Telephone systems for home workers
From: Bill Brucksch <bbruck -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:33:46 -0700

Hello all,

I'm a telecommuting tech writer with a phone system that may need updating.
In my current system, one line is voice only, tied to an answering machine;
a second line (no answering machine) I use for Internet, fax, and outgoing
calls; my cell phone I currently use for emergencies only.

I want to be able to a) not answer all incoming calls, b) be notified
immediately of incoming calls so I can decide which to respond to and when,
and c) use as few lines as possible.

I'm considering the following:
1. putting some sort of line switch on one phone line so I can use it for
either voice, Internet, or fax.
2. rather than answer either line every time it rings, attaching the line/s
to a pager, so I can either return calls immediately or put them off.

I'm interested in learning of anyone's experience with line switches and
also how other work-at-home types have their phones set up. I'd be glad to
summarize the responses I receive and post them.

TIA.

Bill Brucksch
Seattle-area technical marketing writer