IEEE Style Manual

Subject: IEEE Style Manual
From: Lisa Priester <priester -at- XTISED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:49:37 -0700

I have something titled IEEE Standards Style Manual, which covers style and format requirements for the preparation of proposed IEEE standards. On the strength that the current edition covers the same major topics as my 25-page 1992 version, it probably contains mostly guidelines to authors. Instead of treating style topics in depth, it references other IEEE and ANSI standards for units of measures, symbols, etc.

The thing I like most about this guide is that it says "... the IEEE Standards Department follows The Chicago Manual of Style ... and Words into Type." I find that showing this page to recalcitrant engineers often eases objections to following the guidelines in Chicago.

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
345 East 47th Street
New York, NY 10017-2394

Regards,

Lisa Priester