It's vs. its redux

Subject: It's vs. its redux
From: Joe Sokohl <jsokohl -at- CAMPBELLSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 07:38:41 -0500

One recent post claimed that _it's_ as a possessive is logical (yet
incorrect). I'd suggest that, if _it's_ is logical, then so are _hi's_
and _her's_ as third-person possessives...which of course they aren't.
Indeed, _its_ as a possessive seems quite logical to me, because of
its relationship to other third-person possessive pronouns:

its relates to his and hers
it's equates to "it is" in a contracted form

Something like that....just a thought.

joe
Joe Sokohl
Manager of Documentation
Campbell Software, Inc.
http://www.campbellsoft.com
"It ain't the end of the world
It's just the wreck of the Barbie Ferrari."
_______John Hiatt

The opinions expressed in this mail are mine.
They don't necessarily represent Campbell Software or any of its
affiliates.