Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: Betty Guthrie <bguthrie -at- PROMUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 07:31:01 -0500

>In a message dated 97-09-18 18:53:43 EDT, larry_weber -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM writes:
>
><< How do contractors enjoy their work? How does it compare with corporate
> work?>>

How does a Ford Escort compare with a Mercedes Benz?

>< If you work at home, do you go bonkers with "cabin fever?">

I usually end up working on-site at least 50% to 60% of the time. For
me, it's a good mix, though there are times when I would actually prefer
for home-office time. Fewer interruptions that way. And if I'd prefer
to be out riding my bike on a gorgeous day, and do my work at night, I
can.

><How do contractors manage health insurance?>

I'm lucky: my spouse had great insurance that covers us both.

The health insurance "problem" kept me from going independent for quite
a few years (until my youngest child was out of school and no longer
covered under my own insurance). I was a single parent at the time, and
health insurance for my kids was extremely important to me, as well as
extremely expensive.

When I finally did go into contracting, I did without insurance for a
long time. Then, of course, when I remarried, the problem took care of
itself.

><After all is said and done, how's the money? >

For me, the money's terrific -- most of the time. It all depends on
what you can negotiate and how bad you need the work. When I don't
particularly need the work, I can hold out for a better rate because it
really doesn't matter to me whether I get the job or not. On the other
hand, if we've got big bills due, then maybe I'll take a lower-paying
short-term job -- especially if the weather is bad and I can't ride my
bike anyway! <G>

Betty Champagne Guthrie
http://www.concentric.net/~bitsnpcs