Re: Speaking of Improper Terminology

Subject: Re: Speaking of Improper Terminology
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:05:09 +0200

Matt Ion schrieb:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:15:20 -0700, Jeffrey Pittman wrote:
>
> >So what terminology do you use when you write instructions
> >for setting up multiple hard drives? My CMOS settings, and
> >any others I have seen, need to be told what the specs are
> >for the master (bootable) hard drive and the slave hard drive.
> >Or, do you just reject the entire concept and live with only
> >one hard drive no matter how full it gets.
>
> Well, you could just go with SCSI... hard to get negative meanings
> from
> ID numbers 0 through 7.

Good point there. Master/slave are actually standard terms used in the
EIDE disk interface standard. No matter how sensitive you or your client
may be, if you're writing about EIDE interfaces, or any other standard
using those terms, you can't do without them, unless you want to mislead
your readers.

From a transatlantic perspective, this thread (which comes up every
couple of weeks in one form or another) provides a lot of entertainment
and incontravertible proof of the fact that those yanks are totally
bonkers. I mean, everybody knows that, dont't they?

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg
ETAS GmbH & Co.KG