Re: Master/Slave

Subject: Re: Master/Slave
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:16:06 -0800

Okay, I know it's OT, but I just had to throw in my two wee little bits:

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:00:42 -0700, Chuck Martin wrote:

>Serious part of the response:

[snip]
>"In the 1990s U.S., "abort" probably has a higher emotional content than
>"master/slave." Howver, as we evolve as a society, and as our language
>evolves with us, we can work to find terminology that is both accurate and
>emotionless.
[snip]

Alas, there are some perfectly good, perfectly innocuous words that have
been "stolen" for the sake of political correctness. In fact, the use of
"abort" has been hashed out here before. It's a word that has many
meanings, and HAS had many meanings, long before it was used (somewhat
incorrectly) to refer to the termination of a fetus. That it is now
associated exclusively with that procedure is unfortunate, because we now
cannot use it in any of its proper contexts or original meanings without
worrying about "offending" someone with too much sensitivity and too much
spare time.

Indeed, "master/slave" may be even worse, because the terms, or at least
the combination of them in this sense, have many more negative
connotations even at their origins, than "abort" ever did. Even so,
there are times when they very appropriately describe the interaction
between pieces of equipment - for example, in a recording studio, several
devices may be connected together, all of them synchronized, one serving
as the "master", the others as "slaves" under its control.

>Lighthearted part of the response:
[snip]
>While I'll be enjoying the Folson Street Fair with a friend, neither one of
>use will immerse ourselves in the whole "master/slave" thing there. To
>each his/her own....

Don't you mean "his/her/its"? <running and ducking for cover!>

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>