Re: Printed Docs vs. PDF Files

Subject: Re: Printed Docs vs. PDF Files
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:22:28 +0800

Carl Stieren wrote:
> However, in the shift to FrameMaker and PDF, the FrameMaker templates
> had been designed for 8.5 x 11 inch pages, and guess what - Marketing
> had 25,000 copies of the OLD printed covers, which were 7 x 9 inches!
> Marketing couldn't afford either the time or the money to redo the
> covers, so they wanted a conversion to 7 x 9 inch manuals.

This would be either an interesting assignment for a professional
typographer, or an excellent practical exercise for a class of
typography students. It would be tight, it wouldn't look perfect,
but I expect it could be done. Suggest to your friend that she
consult a typographer or look for a typography course.

Of course, as David Knopf says, it may turn out that junking the old
covers is still the cheapest option.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield