Re[2]: SUMMARY: data storage media

Subject: Re[2]: SUMMARY: data storage media
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:16:04 -0500

And Syquest wonders where their market went.

It probably went the same place their quality control went. We had 5
Syquest units in regular use. After three years we had two, the other three
either being in the shop waiting for repair or simply trashed because
they'd been repaired too many times already (after our eighth repair bill,
we quit spending the extra $150 a pop for "repairs" that would last a
couple of months at best). We've had 6 Zip drives now, with the oldest one
being almost three years, and we've had no breakdowns.

Speaking for myself only, I'll never buy another Syquest product. Period.
My experience is from years ago, so perhaps they've fixed their QA
problems. But I'm not willing to risk losing money, or more importantly
time, finding that out. I've already poured too much of both down that
particular rathole.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224