Re: Cheap & Easy DTP

Subject: Re: Cheap & Easy DTP
From: Hillary Russak <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:30:42 -0700

>Hey, Techwhirlers,

Hey!

>I'm (finally) handing off my little PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
>newsletter to two other parents. I've been creating it in Ventura
>Publisher, but I'm looking for a desktop publishing software package that's
>easier and cheaper (a lot cheaper), since the new folks have limited
>experience with DTP, and the PTA can't afford to buy them VP. They are both
>moderately experienced with computers.
>
>The newsletter is published 7 or 8 times a year, and usually has 6 to 8
>pages. I print a master and someone at the school district office
>photocopies them onto colored paper, so it's strictly black ink.
>
>So, does anyone know of any packages that fit these criteria, either PC or
>Mac? It would be especially nice if we could get an educational discount.
>
>If worse comes to worse, they can probably use Word, but it's a
>three-column format with a lot of text wrapping around graphics and I'm
>afraid Word would require too much fiddling.

I've found Word 8 on Office '97 to be a great application for creating a
simple newsletter. It has a template and wizard for creating newsletters
with the specs. you speak of.

Hillary M. Russak, Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ES&H Division, Waste Management Department
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu
Office: (650) 926-3193
Pager: (650) 940-0741