Switching to Linux, was RE: MS Office 97 Update

Subject: Switching to Linux, was RE: MS Office 97 Update
From: "Paul C. Nendick" <pauly -at- ENTERACT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:53:28 -0500

Stephen Forrest wrote:
> The more I learn about Unix (I'm installing Linux on the new pooter)
> the
> less I like Windows and all of its applications. Did you know
> Unix/Linux is apparently immune to viruses?

This encapsulates my sentiment for the last two years. I thought WinNT
would pacify my dislike of windows -- it hasn't. Stephen, there are
quality applications available for Unix, notably Adobe FrameMaker and
Photoshop, and Interleaf. Corel WordPerfect Suite 8 will be around
sometime early next year!!! Say good-bye to MSOffice . . .
(More on this when it happens -- I'm a beta tester.)

These will run under Linux, but the Adobe products are HUGELY
expensive. Apparently, Adobe doesn't view its Unix products to be
for anyone but cash laden government contractors and the like. They
also don't make these products specifically for Linux, but I know
they work nicely on Linux from personal experience. (Full posix
compliance)

I've e-mailed Adobe about this and was written a response (not auto-
reply) thanking me for my interest. It went on to say they've
noted my request and when enough interest is registered, they
may reconsider their current Linux position/pricing.

If you feel like helping out, go to (a web e-mail form)

http://www.adobe.com/misc/comments.html

As for viruses on Unix, I tend to think a virus can do anything its
creator wants it to, including molest Unix.

--
Paul C. Nendick
Freelance Technical Writer, Microsoft Victim